Adj Assoc Prof Ching Chi Keong
National Heart Centre Singapore
MBBS, MRCP(UK), FAMS (Cardiology)
Adjunct Associate Professor Ching Chi Keong is a Senior Consultant with the Department of Cardiology and the Director of Cardiac Electrophysiology and Pacing at the National Heart Centre Singapore.
His sub-specialty interest is in cardiac electrophysiology and pacing.
Adj Assoc Prof Ching graduated with his Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the National University of Singapore in 1995. He subsequently obtained the Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (UK) in 2001 and the Certificate of Specialist Accreditation (Cardiology) in 2004.
Adj Assoc Prof Ching completed his clinical fellowship in Cardiac Electrophysiology and Pacing at the Cleveland Clinic, USA, in 2007. During the fellowship, he acquired competency to perform catheter ablation of complex arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation and tachycardia as well as ventricular tachycardia. He received in-depth training in implantation and the optimisation of pacemakers, internal defibrillators and cardiac resynchronisation therapy devices.
In recognition of his professional and research achievements, Adj Assoc Prof Ching was inducted as a Fellow of the ASEAN Society of Cardiology, Fellow of the Academy of Medicine (Singapore), and Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society, USA.
Adj Assoc Prof Ching also teaches at the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School as an Adjunct Associate Professor.
2012 - Current Committee Member, ILCOR
2011 - Current Chairman of ACLS subcommittee, National Resuscitation Council Singapore
2011 - Current Council Member, National Resuscitation Council Singapore
2010 - Current Council Member, Singapore Cardiac Society
2010 - Current Fellow, Heart Rhythm Society (USA)
2010 - Current Fellow, ASEAN Society of Cardiology
2009 - Current Editorial Board Member, Journal of Arrhythmia
2007 - Current Reviewer, Singapore Medical Journal
- Ching CK, Keng F, Chua TSJ. Nuclear Cardiology in Singapore: A Review. Annals Am of Med Singapore. 461-466; Vol 33 No.4 Jul 2004
- Ching CK, Teo WS. ECG case- Asymptomatic patient with ST-segment elevation. Singapore Med J 2004 Vol 45(11):538-541
- Ching CK, Tan EC. Congenital long QT syndromes: clinical features, molecular genetics and genetic testing. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2006 May;6(3):365-374.
- Devandra K, Ching CK, Tan LK, Tan HK, Yu SL. Intrapartum maternal sinus bradycardia with spontaneous resolution following delivery. Singapore Med J. 2006 Nov;47(11):971-4
- Bai R, Yang XY, Song Y, Lin L, Lu JG, Ching CK, Pu J, Kam R, Hsu LF, Zhang CT, Teo WS, Wang L. Impact of left ventricular epicardial and biventricular pacing on ventricular repolarisation in normal heart individuals and patients with congestive heart failure. Europace. 2006 Nov;8(11): 1002-10.
- Ching CK, Dimpi Patel, Andrea Natale. Review Article: Catheter Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation. J Arrhythmia 2007 Vol 23(2): 85-101.
- Sim D, Chia S, Ching CK, Chua T. Electrocardiographical case. Elderly man with acute breathlessness. Singapore Med J. 2007 May;48(5):475-7.
- Koo SH, Teo WS, Ching CK, Chan SH, Lee EJ. Mutation Screening in KCNQ1, HERG, KCNE1, KCNE2 and SCN5A Genes in a Long QT Syndrome Family. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2007 Jun;36(6):394-5.
- Radiofrequency ablation of atypical atrial flutter after cardiac surgery or atrial fibrillation ablation: A randomized comparison of open-irrigation-tip and 8-mm-tip catheters. (Heart Rhythm. 2007 Aug 1; See acknowledgment).
- Di Biase L, Fahmy TS, Patel D, Bai R, Civello K, Wazni OM, Kanj M, Elayi CS, Ching CK, Khan M, Popova L, Schweikert RA, Cummings JE, Burkhardt JD, Martin DO, Bhargava M, Dresing T, Saliba W, Arruda M, Natale A. Remote magnetic navigation: human experience in pulmonary vein ablation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007 Aug 28;50(9):868-74.
- Khan MN, Usmani A, Noor S, Elayi S, Ching CK, Biase LD, Patel D, Burkhardt JD, Cummings J, Schweikert R, Saliba W, Natale A. Low Incidence of Left Atrial or Left Atrial Appendage Thrombus in Patients with Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation and Normal EF Who Present for Pulmonary Vein Antrum Isolation Procedure. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol Feb 2008: 1-3
- Cummings JE, Barrett CD, Litwak KN, Di Biase L, Chowdhury P, Oh S, Ching CK, Saliba WI, Schweikert RA, Burkhardt JD, De Marco S, Armaganijan L, Natale A. Esophageal Luminal Temperature Measurement Underestimates Esophageal Tissue Temperature During Radiofrequency Ablation Within the Canine Left Atrium: Comparison Between 8 mm Tip and Open Irrigation Catheters. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2008 Mar 26
- Adams J, Natale A, Elayi CS, Di Biase L, Martin DO, Beheiry S, Hao S, Hongo R, Ching CK. Pulmonary vein calcification by EBCT in patients with drug refractory nonvalular atrial fibrillation. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2008 May 28.
- Bai R, Biase LD, Elayi C, Ching CK, Barrett C, Phillips K, Lim P, Patel D, Callahan T, Martin DO, Arruda M, Schweikert RA, Saliba W, Wilkoff B, Natale A. Mortality of heart failure patients after cardiac resynchronization therapy: Identification of predictors. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2008 Jul 3.
- DI Biase L, Natale A, Barrett C, Tan C, Elayi CS, Ching CK, Wang P, Al-Ahmad A, Arruda M, Burkhardt JD, Wisnoskey BJ, Chowdhury P, DE Marco S, Armaganijan L, Litwak KN, Schweikert RA, Cummings JE. Relationship Between Catheter Forces, Lesion Characteristics, "Popping," and Char Formation: Experience with Robotic Navigation System. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2008 Nov 11.
- Elayi CS, Verma A, Di Biase L, Ching CK, Patel D, Barrett C, Martin D, Rong B, Fahmy TS, Khaykin Y, Hongo R, Hao S, Pelargonio G, Dello Russo A, Casella M, Santarelli P, Potenza D, Fanelli R, Massaro R, Arruda M, Schweikert RA, Natale A. Ablation for longstanding permanent atrial fibrillation: results from a randomized study comparing three different strategies. Heart Rhythm. 2008 Dec;5(12):1658-64.
- Bai R, Kam R, Ching CK, Hsu LF, Teo WS. Implantation of lumenless pacing leads at the inter-atrial septum and right ventricular outflow tract with deflectable catheter-sheath. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci. 2008 Dec;28(6):639-44.
- Di Biase L, Elayi CS, Fahmy TS, Martin DO, Ching CK, Barrett C, Bai R, Patel D, Khaykin Y, Hongo R, Hao S, Beheiry S, Pelargonio G, Russo AD, Casella M, Santarelli P, Potenza D, Fanelli R, Massaro R, Wang P, Al-Ahmad A, Arruda M, Themistoclakis S, Bonso A, Rossillo A, Raviele A, Schweikert RA, Burkhardt DJ, Natale A. Atrial fibrillation ablation strategies for paroxysmal patients: randomized comparison between different techniques. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2009 Apr;2(2):113-9.
- Ching CK, Elayi CS, Di Biase L, Barrett CD, Martin DO, Saliba WI, Wazni O, Kanj M, Burkhardt DJ, Schweikert RA, Wilkoff BL. Transiliac ICD implantation: defibrillation vector flexibility produces consistent success. Heart Rhythm. 2009 Jul;6(7):978-83
- Elayi CS, Di Biase L, Barrett C, Ching CK, Aly MA, Lucciola M, Bai R, Horton R, Fahmy TS, Verma A, Khaykin Y, Shah J, Morales G, Hongo R, Hao S, Beheiry S, Arruda M, Schweikert RA, Cummings J, Burkhardt JD, Wang P, Al-Ahmad A, Cauchemez B, Gaita F, Natale A. Atrial fibrillation termination as a procedural endpoint during ablation in long-standing persistent atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2010 Feb 1.
- Tan BY, Ho KL, Ching CK, Teo WS. Novel electrogram device with web-based service centre for ambulatory ECG monitoring. Singapore Med J. 2010 Jul;51(7):565-9
- Elayi CS, Whitbeck MG, Charnigo R, Shah J, Macaulay TE, Morales G, Gurley JC, Kakavand B, Thal S, Ching CK, Khaykin Y, Verma A, Barrett C, Bai R, Di Biase L, Patwardhan A, Moliterno DJ, Natale A. s there an Association Between External Cardioversions and Long Term Mortality and Morbidity - Insights from the AFFIRM Study. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2011 Apr 21
- Ng CT, Chee TS, Ling LF, Lee YP, Ching CK, Chua TS, Cheok C, Ong HY. Prevalence of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy on an electrocardiogram-based pre-participation screening programme in a young male South-East Asian population: results from the Singapore Armed Forces Electrocardiogram and Echocardiogram screening protocol. Europace. 2011 Jun;13(6):883-8.
- Malik AK, Ching CK, Liew R, Chong DT, Teo WS. Successful ablation of sinus node reentrant tachycardia using remote magnetic navigation system. Europace. 2011 Sep 4
- Connolly SJ, Camm AJ, Halperin JL, Joyner C, Alings M, Amerena J, Atar D, Avezum A, Blomström P, Borggrefe M, Budaj A, Chen SA, Ching CK, Commerford P, Dans A, Davy JM, Delacrétaz E, Di Pasquale G, Diaz R, Dorian P, Flaker G, Golitsyn S, Gonzalez-Hermosillo A, Granger CB, Heidbüchel H, Kautzner J, Kim JS, Lanas F, Lewis BS, Merino JL, Morillo C, Murin J, Narasimhan C, Paolasso E, Parkhomenko A, Peters NS, Sim KH, Stiles MK, Tanomsup S, Toivonen L, Tomcsányi J, Torp-Pedersen C, Tse HF, Vardas P, Vinereanu D, Xavier D, Zhu J, Zhu JR, Baret-Cormel L, Weinling E, Staiger C, Yusuf S, Chrolavicius S, Afzal R, Hohnloser SH; the PALLAS Investigators. Dronedarone in High-Risk Permanent Atrial Fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2011 Nov 14
- Ng CT, Ong HY, Cheok C, Chua TS, Ching CK. Prevalence of electrocardiographic abnormalities in an unselected young male multi-ethnic South-East Asian population undergoing pre-participation cardiovascular screening: results of the Singapore Armed Forces Electrocardiogram and Echocardiogram screening protocol. Europace. 2012 Feb
- Diener HC, Eikelboom K, Connolly SJ, Joyner CD, Hart RG, Lip GY, O'Donnell M, Hohnloser SH, Hankey GJ, Shestakovska O, Yusuf S; AVERROES Steering Committee and Investigators. Apixaban versus aspirin in patients with atrial fibrillation and previous stroke or transient ischaemic attack: a predefined subgroup analysis from AVERROES, a randomised trial. Lancet Neurol. 2012 Mar;11(3):225-31
- Shanmugam N, Yap J, Tan RS, LeTT, Gao F, Chan JX, Chong D, Ho KL, Tan BY, Ching CK, Teo WS, Tan JL, Liew R. Fragmented QRS complexes predict right ventricular dysfunction and outflow tract aneurysms in patients with repaired tetralogy of Fallot. Int J Cardiol. 2012 Apr 20
- Chong D, Tan BY, Ho KL, Liew R, Teo WS, Ching CK. Clinical markers of organ dysfunction associated with increased 1-year mortality post-implantable cardioverter defibrillator implantation. Europace. 2012 Jul 29
- Ru San Tan, Chan MY, Wee Siong Teo, Kok Foo Tang, Kheng Siang Ng, Lee SH, Chi Keong Ching. Stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: understanding the new oral anticoagulants dabigatran, rivaroxaban, and apixaban. Thrombosis. 2012;2012:108983.
- Wang M, Ching CK. Pattern of coroner's autopsies at Health Sciences Authority, Singapore: a retrospective study (2009-2010). Med Sci Law. 2012 Oct 5.
- Choon Ta Ng, Chee Tang Chin, Chi Keong CHING. Syphilitic coronary artery ostial stenosis presenting with acute myocardial infarction. Heart. 2013 Feb;99(4):290.
- Chong D, Tan BY, Ho KL, Teo WS, Ching CK. Authors' response to the correspondence entitled 'too ill for an implantable cardioverter defibrillator?' Europace. 2013 Aug;15(8):1226-7.
- Morales GX, Macle L, Khairy P, Charnigo R, Davidson E, Thal S, Ching C, Lellouche N, Whitbeck M, Delisle B, Thompson J, DI Biase L, Natale A, Cattel S, Elayi CS. Adenosine testing in atrial flutter ablation: unmasking of dormant conduction across the cavotricuspid isthmus and risk of recurrence. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2013 Sep;24(9):995-1001.
- Ng CT, Wong A, Cheah FK, Ching CK. Coronary arteriovenous malformation presenting with acute myocardial infarction. Heart Asia, 2013 Jan 22;5(1)
- PCY Lim, L Baskaran, KL Ho, WS Teo, CK Ching. Coronary Sinus Ostial Atresia and Persistent Left-Sided Superior Vena Cava: Clinical Significance and Strategies for Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy. Int J Angiol 2013;22:199-202.
- Lim PC, Tan BY, Ho KL, Ching CK, Teo WS. Pacemaker failure due to loss of fluid seal in a patient with a 5/6mm pacemaker header port and a 5mm unipolar lead. Indian Pacing Electrophysiol J. 2013 Nov 15;13(6):217-20. eCollection 2013 Nov.